Topics
User Articles
Web Links

Google
Google

The Web
linux-tutorial.info

Who's Online
There are currently, 185 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are an Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Linux Knowledge Base and Tutorial: Forums

Linux Tutorial :: View topic - Difference to other distro
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference to other distro

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Difference to other distro Reply with quote

I would [b]really[/b] appreaciate it if those who know RedHat would point out differences to me when going through the tutorial. Most of the basics are the same (which is one reason why I did not include a "newbie" section under the Red Hat forum). However, as far as I know, there are difference once you dig a little deeper. Since I don't use Red Hat I can't say where the differences are. On the other hand, those that do and see the difference when using the tutorial can help me out by telling me about the difference. Using the forum is fine, but I would prefer to have it through the "Contributions" link in the tutorial. However, I could create a new sub-forum on difference to what is the tutorial, then everyone gets to see it right away.

Comments?
linuxguru
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Red Hat Or Not To Red Hat? Reply with quote

I'm confused by the last two sentences of your post, namely:

[quote]Using the forum is fine, but I would prefer to have it through the "Contributions" link in the tutorial. However, I could create a new sub-forum on difference to what is the tutorial, then everyone gets to see it right away. [/quote]

Are you now saying you don't believe there should be a separate Red Hat forum after all? Speaking for myself, for those of us who do use the Red Hat Linux distribution (and particularly the latest version, Shrike) who have never used any other linux distribution, it would be equally as difficult for us to attempt to explain the differences between how this or that works under Red Hat Linux as oppsed to say a Mandrake distribution for example. I'm not even sure if knowing the differences between them would make any difference to anyone not already using Red Hat Linux, unless of course there was intention on switching to Red Hat Linux after seeing what the differences were.

One very important and obvious difference between Red Hat Linux and other linux distributions, as you're probably already aware, is the simplification of program management through the RPM (Red Hat Package Manager); and another important difference being, of course, the availability of the Red Hat Network to keep one's system operating in peek condition with all the latest errata, bug fixes, security patches, programs, etc. available through automatic update, if so desired, via update2, similar to the Windows operating system update capability from Microsoft Corporation.

Perhaps if you could elaborate a little more about your concerns with having a separate Red Hat Distribution forum, then I could better understand why you believe it important to understand differences among the various linux distributions, and I could do the same to support why I believe it is important to have a separate forum for separate distributions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A seperate Red Hat forum is fine. I have no problems with it at all. If it helps people communicate, then go for it!

I speaking more toward the [b]tutorial[/b] itself. When I talk about a particular subject, I am speaking from a very SuSE perspective, so people can get confused as to why their system does not work the same way or why files are not where I say.

In my experience know that something is diffent actually teaches you three things. 1. The way it is on system A. 2. The way it is on system B. 3. System A and B are different. For someone who has never used a different distribution and never, then knowing that there are difference may not be as important. However, they may get a job with a company that runs a different distribution and run into problems. You might also have someone running one distro and want to take the RedHat certification.

Still, I am speaking primarily of the tutorial itself. If people would tell [b]me[/b] where there are differences to what I talk about in the tutorial, then I could include comments in the tutorial when I discuss that particular topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Tutorial Forum Index -> General Linux All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: