Topics
User Articles
Web Links

Google
Google

The Web
linux-tutorial.info

Who's Online
There are currently, 182 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are an Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Linux Knowledge Base and Tutorial: Forums

Linux Tutorial :: View topic - Configuring MIPv6 for Linux red hat
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuring MIPv6 for Linux red hat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yat81

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Configuring MIPv6 for Linux red hat Reply with quote

Well guys, really need the help.

I'm quet new to linux. My project is to enable MIPv6 using linux PC and cisco Aironet AP. Welll, i had found this cool website:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mobile-IPv6-HOWTO/mipv6.html

We can even get the documents here. But i stuck at step number 4, which is i quote

' Now your kernel tree is ready for configuration. Run your favorite make *config. The MIPv6 options are under "Networking Options". The following options should be present in ".config":'

My question is:

1. What is networking option in L:inux (sorry for the silly question). Is it in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts? I really have no idea on this.
2. Where does this *config file? I see alot of config file here, don't know which one.

This step by step is actaully good, but i t assume you to be well verse in Linux Networking configuration. Really appreciate your help.
koen
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The step-by-step howto you're reading does not describe network configuration, but explains how to compile a kernel so that MIPv6 support is included in it - apparently that's what you want to do.

Therefore, the *config in question refers to the configuration of the compilation process, i.e. if you run "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig", you can select "network options", where you (presumably) can indicate that you want a kernel compiled with support for MIPv6.

Have a look here:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/kernel-pkg/config-kernel-pkg.html.en
yat81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using red hat 9.0. Thnx for ur guys help. Maybe need you soon. Still a long way to go.
yat81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, i wonder why tehy don't change this lab Linux OS, currently i'm using Kernel version 2.4.20-8, and i plan to upgrade to fedora 5. Btw, when i encounter step 3, which is 'Apply the MIPv6 patch' using the command they gave it to me:

patch -p1 --dry-run < /usr/local/src/mipv6-2.0.2-linux-2.6.16.patch

and the comp screen is moving (i don't know the process, maybe extracting the file or something), and then this message appear:

File to patch:

i just press the enter button, and then the message asking me 'skip this patch? [y]' and i just type y and enter. How do i know which file to patch? After all i just skip all the patching and the message

Skipping patch.
15 out of 15 hunks ignored

(Actually alot of hunks message, all state the different value each time i skip the patching)

Pse advise...at this time, i'm still blur, a lot of reading doesn't help, need to ask the expert.
koen
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it kinda helps if you know (or try to understand) what you're doing in stead of copying commands ...
[quote]
and the comp screen is moving (i don't know the process, maybe extracting the file or something), and then this message appear:
[/quote]
the patch command that your executing is supposed to be patching (modifying, applying changes to ...) the source code of the kernel - so the output you get on the screen is probaly feedback on the patching process.

Which file to patch should be included in the file you're using to patch the kernel - that would thus be (one of) the source files of the kernel, which you downloaded to /usr/src as per 2. of the instructions you're following (did you actually download those ? in the correct location ?)

According to http://www.mobile-ipv6.org/software/, the howto your following is outdated. I think it's best you look for README and INSTALL docs in the packages you've downloaded.

Alternative sollution, probably easier : if what you're doing is an exercise in MIPv6 rather than an exercise in compiling a customized kernel, you might just want to go and try installing a newer kernel that already has support for MIPv6 - re. freeloader.
You'd need to be root, I suppose, but that would also be the case if you need to install a kernel you'd compile yourself.

I don't know how RH goes about replacing a kernel, I'm more in to Debian and Ubuntu, so maybe someone else here can shed some light.
koen
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ff,

seeing that
[quote]
i wonder why tehy don't change this lab Linux OS,
[/quote]
I thought maybe this guy is not in a position to upgrade the entire system, that's why i thought maybe replacing the kernel was a userfull workaround - it would get replaced either way, whether he manages to compile a kernel, our hust downloads one and installs it.

Other than that, I agree : it makes more sense to get the system up to date and then start playing with that MIP.
yat81

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for u guys advise, i had change to Linux CentOS, and it works perfectly, especially for updating Kernel, since CentOS using 2.6.9, but much much more better that red hat 9 (huh, really having bad experience). No more annoying error message. Huh, now i can sleep in peace............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Tutorial Forum Index -> How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: